Thursday, April 12, 2012

TV Culture Shock

I check the internet on occasion and hear splices of news from rumors, but overall I am pretty clueless about everything that is happening outside of my tiny island home. Last week, I spent a night in a hotel and paid the extra $1.50 to have access to the newly installed cable TV hook up. A night of watching TV made my isolation and disconnection from civilization quite clear.
A BBC news broadcast brought the most shocks. They were discussing politicians I had never heard of, unknown African wars that had sprung up over night, random celebrities with juicy gossip and a slew of new inventions. I saw a segment about the first commercially available flying cars. It appears that the number one science fiction fantasy is no longer a dream. Also, I watched a report on the prototype of the futuristic Google glasses. This technologically eye wear provides a tiny computer like screen in your field of vision that describes and enhances all the objects in your environment. I had seen predictions of this idea in the movies Wall-E and Minority Report, but I didn’t think we were actually there yet.
I know I have been gone for a while, but I didn’t expect the world to change so much so quickly. I am going to leave my quaint island abode and return to America to find a flying car in every driveway, an Ipad in every hand, and reality augmenting Google glasses on every head. hah

No comments:

Post a Comment