Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mango Madness

I finally fulfilled one of my dreams about living here in Micronesia. I gorged myself on ripe mangoes until I couldn’t eat anymore. I had heard the legends of copious mangoes dropping from the trees and lining the roads in such abundance that they went uneaten and rotted on the ground. The tales of mango madness captivated my imagination and I have been eagerly awaiting their arrival. Due to some unusual seasonal changes in weather patterns, I have never seen a proper mango harvest. Every once in a while, I will get to chomp on a sour little mango that some little boy has brought me, but I have yet to see the rain of ripe mangoes that drop from the trees.
Last week, I went deeper into the jungle with a few friends and found a gigantic mango tree that was fruiting wildly. A boy climbed the tree and proceeded to knock down 50 or 100 oval shaped mangoes. I happily stuffed myself with the fruity goodness and enjoyed the tasty tropical treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment