Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Solar Lights

A few months ago, my dad sent me a few different type of solar lanterns to give to my host family. The smallest and cheapest of those lamps turned out to be an amazing feat of human achievement. The D. Light S100 solar light has brought brightness to the dark nights in Chuuk. Most people use expensive and dirty kerosene lamps to light their houses at nights and others use second-rate Chinese flashlights that zap a pair of batteries in a few days. Both options are insufficient, but solar provides a solution.
            My host family liked the light so much that they asked for a few more. My dad happily purchased a couple more and sent them in the mail. Pretty soon, the neighbors became jealous of the fabulous lighting system and asked if they get some. As a Peace Corps volunteer I am not allowed to sell things so I had to rely on the generosity of my dad to buy the lights for the community. He sent over a dozen more of the lights and I gave them away to some of my extended family and community members.
            During the last month, a wild craze has started in my village about the lights. Maybe not every single day, but at least every other day I get stopped on the road and asked for a light. People that I have never seen before will approach me and beg for a solar light. They are obsessed with the potential of these solar lights and the rumors are spreading like wildfire.
            I cant rely on my dad to buy 100 lights for every family in my village, but the need is obvious and the demand is large. I am trying to work with a local NGO to apply for a grant from the light corporation to get a big load of lights. We’ll see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment